The Community Of Faith Church has a rich history and legacy. In 1873, Reverend Jack Henry Yates led a small band of Christians to organize what was then, Mount Pillow Missionary Baptist Church. Although he was a former slave, the Reverend Yates possessed uncommon leadership gifts. He was taught to read by the son of his owner. After being emancipated he continued his education. Eventually, he founded a school. He also founded the historic Freedmen's Town near downtown Houston. He started businesses and also became a renowned minister and founded multiple churches. What was then Mount Pillow Missionary Baptist Church is now The Community Of Faith Church. It is among the oldest churches in Houston, Texas.
For the first 40 years, several pastors served the congregation. Then in 1927, a young 27 year old man was called to become the church's interim pastor. His name was Reverend Charlie Daniel James Dixon. After several months, the church voted that he should remain the permanent pastor. At that time the church was located at the corner of State Street and Hemphill Street, near the Buffalo Bayou, in what is now Houston's historic 6th Ward. Due to continuous racial torment, in 1949 Reverend C.D. Dixon led the church to relocate to 5309 Feagan Street. That area is now the historic West End. This move required great faith and commitment from the church’s members. There was only 93 cents in the bank account at the time. For about a year, the Sunday worship services were held under a tent which was purchased on the Sears and Roebuck credit account of Mr. Richard McGarity. He was a faithful deacon who remained active until he died after serving the church for over 60 years.
In 1951 a new building was constructed on the Feagan Street property. In this facility new ministries emerged. Velma Dixon, the wife of Pastor Dixon founded a kindergarten and elementary school that served families in the community. After a few years the growth of the membership required an expansion and remodeling of the facility. Upon completion, the name was changed to Greater Mount Pillow Missionary Baptist Church. In 1974, the mortgage was paid in full and the note was burned. What a celebration!
For 50 years the Reverend C.D. Dixon served the congregation. He established a reputation in his community and in the city of Houston as a devout man of character, love for people and faith in God. In March 1978, after a lengthy illness, he was called to meet the Lord and granted eternal rest. Prior to his death, he recommended the Reverend Clovis Emory Johnson to be named his successor. Reverend Johnson was an associate minister at True Light Baptist Church, serving under the leadership of Reverend William Bowie, Jr. Shortly after the passing of Reverend C. D. Dixon, the
church elected Rev. Johnson. He was also an educator and did much to help shape an emphasis on Christian education in the ministry. Under his leadership, meaningful learning and developmental opportunities for children became a focus.
In the Fall of 1980, Rev. Johnson made the decision to resign his pastorate. He had served approximately three years. The church entered into a period of great duress as they searched for their next spiritual leader. Months passed as they listened to, met with and interviewed many candidates. What they had in mind was obviously not what God had in mind. How could they?
A young high school student named James Wallace Edwin Dixon, II, had confessed a call by God to preach the Gospel. On July 9, 1978, he delivered his first sermon under the pastoral leadership of Reverend Clovis Johnson. Now, after many months of agonizing over who the church's next pastor should be, God moved in a mysterious way. On the night of July 19, 1981, the Spirit of the Lord prevailed. The church elected this young 18 year old minister to become its pastor. He had only finished high school two months earlier in May. He is the grandson of the Reverend C.D. Dixon.
To the surprise of many, it was not long before the church began to grow rapidly. The young pastor proved to be able to withstand conflict and to inspire members to engage in evangelism, and outreach programs and to embrace a vision for greater things. Within year three, a second Sunday Service was added to accommodate the growth. The church also launched a new Bible Study called Tuesday Night Live! The growth of the church continued. Soon the need for larger facilities became apparent. The entire lot at 5309 Feagan was only 5,000 square feet.
In October of 1986, the church made history again. They followed their young 23 year old pastor in relocating to 1023 Pinemont Drive. After a meeting with the Reverend E.R. McCrary approximately 8 months earlier, God opened a door at what was then Pinemont Baptist Church. The predominantly Anglo congregation decided to pursue relocating and thus was ready to sell their facilities on Pinemont. Through a series of miraculous events, the Lord used this as an opportunity to establish Pinemont as the new address of the Greater Mount Pillow Baptist Church. After leasing for several months, the property was purchased in May 1987 for $900,000. The new facilities consisting of three buildings, provided room for growth and expansion of ministry programs. In 1987 Dominion Preparatory, a licensed early childhood and elementary school was founded. Now in its 26th year, the school has an enduring reputation as a leading child development institution in northwest Houston.
In the early 90’s, Pastor James Dixon led the church to launch Dominion Community Development Corporation (CDC), a not for profit organization. Through Dominion CDC extensive community building and neighborhood improvement has taken place. Three
subdivisions, Dominion Estates 1, 2 and 3 have been created. Dominion Square Apartments were purchased and extensively rehabilitated.
When the church was firmly established on Pinemont, the named was changed to Northwest Community Baptist Church. The membership increase was astounding. On one Sunday, 126 persons joined the congregation. Soon multiple services were needed again. The vision for the church's future expanded and in 1990, Pastor James Dixon led the church in its most aggressive acquisition. They purchased 22.6 acres of land directly across from the 1023 Pinemont property. The price was $955,000. These were wooded undeveloped acres. The young minister and congregation believed that to be the new location for an edifice that would glorify God by faith the vision was pursued.
In 1996, preparation for a new sanctuary began. It included paying the remaining mortgage balance in full. The amount at the time was $324,000. In the spring of 1997 (seven years ahead of schedule) the note was burned on the 1023 property and preparation for the new building was underway.
In July 1999, the congregation entered a new worship facility called, “The King's Dome.” This ultra-modern facility seats 2,000 people and is one of the finest worship venues in Houston. It also attracts major concerts featuring national artists. The classrooms and social spaces make it an awesome place for worship, Christian education and community events.
Due to the church's broad reach throughout the city, they adopted the name The Community Of Faith! The work of this congregation continues to impact the community in amazing ways. Myriad ministries and programs make The COF a viable place to worship and grow.
In addition to local community initiatives, The Community Of Faith has made an impact on lives aboard through its missions’ work in Africa. In May 2004, a new worship, education and housing facility were dedicated in Uganda, East Africa. Hundreds of orphans are housed and cared for at this location.
God obviously has His hands on this ministry. "I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord. To give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11)
The Community Of Faith Church is a vibrate body of believers, inspired to win more souls to Christ, impact more lives, and by faith do GREATER works for the glory of God.